On 8th June, ICROA Programme Director Simon Henry moderated a workshop on “Clean Energy Future: Carbon emissions – transitioning to net zero" at the Responsible Business Summit Europe in London. This is Europe’s leading business conference focusing on the latest in sustainability, communications and governance. The workshop discussed the opportunities and challenges for companies in transitioning to net zero carbon emissions. Simon was joined on the panel by:
- Mark Chadwick: Founder and CEO of Carbon Clear (an ICROA member); and
- Hans Koeleman: Director of Corporate Communications & CSR at KPN
After opening presentations from the panellists, the workshop focused on a number of roundtable discussions. These allowed participants to explore the subject of transitioning to net zero carbon emissions in more detail, specifically focusing on the following three topics:
- Setting the vision: How do you build the case internally within an organisation for transitioning to net zero, and how do you get buy-in from senior managers?
- Implementing the governance arrangements: What systems to do you need in place to ensure you’re on track, and how do you measure the impact of your programmes?
- Delivering the transition economically: How do you decide what actions to take, and how do you maximise the value of going to net zero?