ICROA hosted a side event on the future of the voluntary market at COP 22 in Marrakech. The session discussed how the introduction of the Paris Agreement brings both risks and opportunities to the voluntary market. It outlined what new approaches might be needed for the voluntary market to continue remain effective post 2020 and how voluntary offsetting can continue to add value and impact under the Paris Agreement.
The panel consisted of the following participants:
- Jonathan Shopley (moderator): Managing Director, Natural Capital Partners
- Simon Henry: ICROA Programme Director
- Andrea Abrahams: Global Director, BP Target Neutral
- Joe Pryor: Director, Carbon Markets and Bilateral Partnerships, International Climate Change Branch, Australian Department of the Environment and Energy
- James Grabert: Coordinator of Sustainable Development Mechanism Programme, UNFCCC
- Jochen Gassner: Executive Board Member, First Climate and ICROA co-chair